A beginner’s guide to understanding the economy
Wednesday evenings from 14 Feb to 28 March 2018 | 7.30-9pm | FREE
Do politicians and economists mystify the system to prevent us from kicking back? Do you ever get this nagging feeling that if you could just understand how the economy works, you could figure out how to fight for a more equitable society?
Throughout Feb and March, Hackney Showroom presents a series of free masterclasses for adults living in Hackney on a range of subjects around the economy, debt and finance. Presented in partnership with Positive Money & New Economics Foundation MONEY is an accessible, informal series of workshops-lectures-discussions.
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER! ✊
Each session is standalone so you can attend as few or as many as you like:
- Session 1: Wed 14 Feb – Facts about the Economy Which Will Blow Your Mind
Hosted by David Clarke (Positive Money), with Antonia Jennings (Economy) & Professor John Weeks (Progressive Economics Group)
- Session 2: Wed 21 Feb – The Real Reason You Cant Afford Your Rent
Hosted by Toby Lloyd (Shelter), with Eva Smith (London Renters Union). Plus Faith Taylor (Researcher, QMUL) who will talk about the impact of insecure housing and employment on intimate relationships.
- Session 3: Wed 28 Feb – Is Money Making You Ill?
- Session 4: Wed 7 March – Feeding a family on a tight budget
- Session 5: Wed 14 March – The Shocking Secret about Where Money Comes From
Positive Money lay bear the truth about where money comes from.
- Session 6: Wed 21 March – How feminism is shaping the economy
- Session 7: Wed 28 March – The Future of the Economy
Exploring circular currencies and cryptocurrencies with Duncan McCann (New Economics Foundation) & Marloes Nicholls (Finance Innovation Lab). Plus Stewart Lansley & Amy Downes discuss their new book It’s Basic Income.
If you are not living in Hackney but would still like to attend, please wait until the day of the event to book.