Responsible to: Co-Directors
Responsible for: Freelancers (as applicable)
Salary: £25,000 per annum (gross), pro rata
Contract: This is a 2 day a week, permanent position
Hours: Core office hours are 10am to 6pm, Monday to Friday. The working days are to be mutually agreed. The post-holder will be expected to fulfil the hours required to do the job within these times, which will require occasional evening and weekend work.
Location: Hackney Showroom, 4 Murrain Road, Kings Crescent Estate, London N4 2BN
Holiday: 21 days plus public holidays
Pension contribution: 5%
Disability: If you have a disability and would like to discuss your access needs for applying and attending an interview, or to discuss any reasonable adjustments that we may need to make for you to fulfil the role, we warmly encourage you to get in touch.
Notice period: 2 weeks during probationary period. 1 month after the probationary period.
Probationary period: 6 months
“An amazing charity doing so much to keep creative culture in Hackney properly inclusive, radical, diverse & authentic” Philip Glanville, Mayor of Hackney
Hackney Showroom is a home for some of the most experimental, narrative-led theatre and performance artists in the UK, particularly giving a platform to voices that are underrepresented. We offer artists a rigorous approach to developing their practice, paving the way for them to make astonishing and memorable work.
Our work with artists is delivered in symbiosis with our work with a myriad of communities to which we offer a warm and refreshing invitation to encounter live cultural experiences and explore future-facing ideas.
Hackney Showroom is a unique hybrid of a grassroots community project and an award-winning arts organisation. Our home on Kings Crescent Estate creates the best conditions for artists and local residents to flourish so that we can create a new future for ourselves and our communities. We build bridges, form bonds and connect people across divides.
Hackney Showroom are producers of the renowned family arts programme Disco Loco and award-winning theatre shows including the recent hit show BURGERZ by Travis Alabanza (★★★★ The Guardian ★★★★ The Stage) and for all the women who thought they were Mad by Hackney resident Zawe Ashton (★★★★The Stage ★★★★ Observer).
In February 2019, we left our last premises and 6 months later were awarded a local authority tender to take over a new building on Kings Crescent Estate, N4. With a 5 year lease and peppercorn rent, this investment from LB Hackney signifies a mark of recognition of our business model and we have a new 5 year plan to coincide with the period of the lease.
Kings Crescent Estate is a large housing estate currently undergoing major regeneration, recently awarded 2 AJ Architecture Awards: Housing Project of the Year & Editor’s Choice, recipient of the Mayor’s Prize and an RIBA National Award winner. The space is a fully accessible 2,000 sqft with a large rehearsal and performance space, a smaller studio plus toilets and kitchen. There is a pedestrianised playstreet in front of the building.
We work in partnership with Kings Crescent Tenants and Residents Association and co-design community activity. We deliver a year round Cultural Communities Programme for local residents, including: Disco Loco Library for kids, Easy Rollerz soft play disco, Kings Youth club for 13-19s, Fitness and Wellbeing classes, Friday Lunch Club for over 60s (all weekly) plus quarterly community parties Kings Feast and an annual summer street party.
Our venue is available to hire for rehearsals, workshops, classes, performances, parties, film and photo shoots and private events.
In 2022 we were longlisted for the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation’s Award for Civic Arts Organisations.
Hackney Showroom is a small company which has recently expanded to deliver our new 5 year business plan. The Marketing Officer will work alongside the Co-Directors and the General Manager/Producer to engage audiences and participants in all our activities.
This is a hands-on role and we are looking for someone to design and deliver campaigns to reach residents on our estate as well as audiences and participants further afield.
We are looking for a persuasive and enthusiastic person with an original, irreverent voice and an ability to communicate with a wide range of audiences, communities and stakeholders. You will be someone that shares our passion for grassroots marketing approaches and that is excited about championing alternative live performance.
- Support the Co-Directors in meeting the company’s aims and objectives
- Support the Co-Directors in shaping our community vision
- Further the brand of Hackney Showroom and raise the profile of the company
- Collect & analyse engagement data
- Oversee all design, print and distribution of print materials
- Create content for, manage and schedule our website and social media channels
- Seek out appropriate partners to co-promote and amplify the work
- Plan, write and schedule newsletters and manage all mailing lists
- Write press releases & manage contacts with press
- Adhere to brand guidelines
- Oversee our bookings system and manage communications with bookers
- Action all venue hires marketing deliverables
- Work towards audience targets for the programme
Productions, Festivals, Events & Projects
- Work with the Co-Directors on creating bespoke marketing campaigns for each project
- Action all marketing deliverables to budget and in time
- Work towards audience targets for each project
- Support the the Co-Directors in engaging freelance graphic/digital designers, photographers, filmmakers, publicists etc.
Essential Experience & Knowledge
- Professional experience in marketing & communications
- Professional experience in the arts & culture sector in any role
- Knowledge of the alternative theatre & live performance scene
Essential Skills & Attributes
- Familiar with WordPress and the ability to maintain website and troubleshoot basic web issues
- Experience in Facebook for Business and social media marketing
- Familiar with Hootsuite and ability to schedule social media across multiple accounts
- Familiar with email marketing software and ability to plan email campaigns and segment audiences
- Competent design skills such as Photoshop/Indesign/Illustrator
- A flair for engaging people
- A passion for and knowledge of theatre and the performing arts
- Ability to approach the role with fresh ideas and innovative solutions and think laterally
- Ability to represent the values and vision of Hackney Showroom in all communications
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to effectively prioritise
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively in person and in writing with a wide range of people
- Strong copywriting skills and the ability to capture our tone of voice
- Ability to be flexible and responsive
- Strong attention to detail
- Basic web coding skills
- Turkish language speaker
- Local Hackney knowledge
- Video editing
- A passion for community development
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for the post, please email email@example.com with a copy of your CV with a covering letter (no longer that two sides of A4) explaining why you are interested in the role and how your skills and experience match the personal specification.
If you have any questions or if you would like to submit your application in another format, please call the office on +44 (0) 203 095 9747.
The deadline for receipt of applications is 5pm on Monday 23 May 2022
Interviews will take place in person at Hackney Showroom on Thursday 26 May 2022
Please note that we are unable to reply to all applicants. If you do not hear back from us by 25 May, please assume you have not been shortlisted for interview.